You don’t have to go far to find tubing near me in the Capital Region. There are seventeen family-friendly tubing areas within day trip distance, most less than a two-hour drive away, and more not much further away.
Somewhere between backyard sledding and Olympic bobsledding on the thrill-o-meter, tubing is a great way to get the kids outdoors. Much less expensive than other winter sports, and requiring no special lessons or gear, a tubing adventure is a fun thing to do with kids (and the young at heart!)
Because it’s relatively inexpensive and easy to organize, snow tubing – like ice skating – is also a popular thing to do as a group activity for youth groups. This also makes it a good choice for planning a winter birthday party.
Table of Contents
What Is Snow Tubing?
Snow tubing is a winter sport that involves sliding down a snow-covered slope while sitting or lying on an inflatable tube. It is similar to traditional sledding, but instead of using a sled, a large, round tube is used to slide down the hill.
Snow tubing is a fun and exciting activity that is suitable for all ages, making it a popular winter pastime for families and groups of friends. The inflatable tubes used in snow tubing are often brightly colored and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Typically, there are larger or smaller sizes, and sometimes two-rider tubes.
Most snow tubing parks have designated tubing lanes that are groomed for speed and safety. The lanes are typically separated by barriers or fencing to prevent collisions between tubers. Riders can use a tow rope or conveyor belt to reach the top of the hill, where they can then launch themselves down the slope.
While snow tubing is generally a safe activity, it is important to follow the rules and guidelines set by the park to prevent accidents or injuries. Some parks may also require participants to wear helmets or sign a waiver before tubing.
Overall, snow tubing is a thrilling and enjoyable way to experience the winter season, providing hours of entertainment and adventure for participants of all skill levels.
Snow Tubing Near Albany NY
Snow Tubing Parks in New York
- Willard Mountain Greenwich, NY (518) 692-7337. Driving: 55 minutes from Albany, NY. Open 10am-6pm weekends and holidays. 3 tubing chute lanes. $18/ 2 hour. Purchase tickets online. Tubing parties and lodge reservations are on hold this year.
- West Mountain – Queensbury, NY (518) 793-6606. Driving: 1 hour from Albany, NY. Open Monday & Friday 3pm-9pm, Saturday 10am-8pm, Sunday 10am-6pm. 10 tubing chute lanes, all accessible by magic carpet ride. $35 adults ($20 youth)/ 2 hour,
- Windham Mountain – Windham, NY Driving: 1 hour from Albany, NY (2:45 minutes from NYC) Open Fridays-Sunday, check online for special hours. Group reservations are only available during “green” days. $17/ 3 hours, Tubing Pizza Party $27.
- Hunter Mountain – Hunter, NY Driving: 70 minutes from Albany, NY (2:40 from NYC.) Open Fridays 5-9PM, Saturdays 9AM-9PM, Sundays 9AM-5PM. 1000 foot tubing hill. $25/ 2 hours. Snow tubing tickets must be purchased 48 hours ahead.
- Plattekill Mountain – Roxbury, NY Driving: 1:20 minutes from Albany, NY. Saturdays-Sundays, December 26-March 15. Tubing Rates $27/2 hours. Purchase tickets online. $900/ Rent the entire park for up to 100 people.
- Oak Mountain Ski Center – Speculator, NY Driving: 1:40 minutes from Albany, NY. Open Saturday-Sunday 10AM-4PM. $15/90 minutes. Book online.
- Mount Pisgah Ski Center – Saranac Lake, NY Driving: 2:50 minutes from Albany, NY. 2021 Tubing available on a first come first served basis, but with limited availability for safety reasons. $15/2 hours. Highly recommended to print and fill out forms in advance.
Snow Tubing Is Also Available at These New York Resorts:
- Villa Roma Ski Area – Catskills, NY Driving: 45 minutes from Albany, NY. $15/2 hours (Pricing for locals.)
- Rocking Horse Ranch Winter Fun Park – Highland, NY. Driving: 1:30 minutes from Albany, NY (1:45 minutes from NYC.)
Snow Tubing in Massachusetts
- Bousquet Ski Area – Pittsfield, MA Driving: 1 hour from Albany, NY. Open 11a-7pm Friday-Sunday. 4 tubing lanes. $13/2 hours advance sale ($22 same day, if available.)
- Butternut – Great Barrington, MA. Driving: 1 hour from Albany, NY. 2-hour session Friday nights $20, weekends and holidays $25. 11 tubing lanes, Magic Carpet lift, and 100% snowmaking makes this some of the best snow tubing in New England.
- Berkshire East Ski Area – Charlemont, MA. Driving: 1:48 minutes from Albany, NY. 3 tubing chute lanes (450 feet long.) Daily, 2-hour sessions $20.
Snow Tubing in Vermont
- Stratton Mountain Resort – Bondville, VT. Driving: 1:40 minutes from Albany, NY. Open Thursday-Monday, December 26-March 30. $30 for one hour.
- Magic Mountain – Londonderry, VT. Driving: 1:50 minutes from Albany, NY. Open daily, plus Saturday and Holiday night sessions, November-Easter. Early season snow making, covered magic carpet, and 5 runs. General admission $35, small child $20.
- Mount Snow – West Dover, VT. Driving: 1:50 minutes from Albany, NY. Opening date still to be determined.
- Check Visit Vermont for more snow tubing runs in the state.
Snow Tubing in Pennsylvania
- Snow tubing in the Poconos earns a well-deserved reputation for fun, but there’s one place that goes above and beyond. Camelback snow tubing offers 40 lanes to choose from, day and night, under Galactic lights. Driving: 3 hours from Albany NY.
See what we had to say about a romantic getaway at Camelback on our sister publication, GetawayMavens.com: Poconos Romantic Getaway: Double The Fun.
What To Wear Snow Tubing
- Dress Warmly in layers. There may be significant waiting periods between rides, so dress for warmth. A wicking base layer, warm mid-layer, and water-repellent outer layer are a must. Snow pants aren’t absolutely necessary, but an insulated pair that cinch where they meet boots can help keep feet dry.
- Helmets – While helmets are not usually required for tubing; if you have one, wear it. It will keep your head warm, and in the rare chance that there is a wipeout, you will be protected.
- Footwear – Many tubing parks ban ski boots or hard shell boots. Warm and dry snow boots are the way to go.
Snow Tubing Tips
- Release Form – Most snow tubing attractions require a release form; save time by downloading it from the website & signing it in advance.
- Call ahead. Although many tubing parks make their own snow, conditions are weather-dependent. Check before you go!
- Pack essentials. Many tubing hills do NOT offer snacks. Pack accordingly. Also, consider packing a change of clothes, especially socks, for a dryer drive home.
We love winter sports and have written a number of articles about what to do near Albany NY, and around the United States. Here are some of our favorite articles:
- Top 10 Reasons We Love To Ski
- Skiing Near Me: The Ultimate Guide to the Best Ski Areas Near Albany NY
- Find Your Perfect Fit: Ski Boot Fitting Near Me
- New England Ski Resorts
- Cross Country Skiing Near Albany NY
- Snow Tubing Near Albany NY
- Ice Skating Near Me In The Capital Region; The Ultimate Guide
- Ski Camp Gives Kids An Extra Edge
1 thought on “Snow Tubing Near Me: Albany NY Winter Fun”
Sliding down those snowy slopes and feeling the chilly wind in our faces is an unbeatable way to spend a winter day. With such a fantastic variety of locations near Albany, it’s like a winter wonderland waiting to be explored!
Comments are closed.