That’s why I’m keeping a running list with a view to someday producing a Guide to Enrichment Classes. If you know of any classes that belong on this list, please share by posting a comment, or sending an email to email@example.com.
Additionally, I’ve tried my best to place each organization under the appropriate category, but not all can be so easily classified. If you spot any that have been mislabeled, let me know and I’ll fix it.
- First Lego League – The challenge this year is Food Factor “Keeping Food Safe.” Join or start a team to compete in regional tournaments.
- Odyssey of the Mind – Join or start a team through a school or community group to take on creative challenges, and compete in regional tournaments.
- Albany Area Math Circle – This group of high school students from all over the Capital District meets weekly for extreme math, and they also coach middle school math circles and Math Counts teams.
- Albany Spanish Immersion – Albany, NY.
- Capital Region Language Center – Ballston Spa and Albany, NY.
- Chinese Community Center of the Capital District Chinese School
- Hola La – Multiple locations.
- Language Learning Institute – Albany, Latham, and Saratoga, NY.
- Abelson Test Prep – Classes and individual test prep for the SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT, and MCAT.
- Kaplan – Multiple locations; Test prep for K-8, college, and more.
- Kumon – Kumon Center in Guilderland, NY: Kumon Center – Clifton Park, NY; and Kumon Center – 265 Osborne Road, Colonie, NY 12211, (518) 453-2393. Read: Confessions of a Kumon Mom.
- Math Done Right– Colonie, NY Read: For Students Who Want to Excel, There Is a New Math Program In Town.
- Sylvan Learning – Tutoring by subject or grade; check the locator for a center near you.
- The Arts Center of the Capital Region – Troy, NY – Ex. circus yoga,mommy and me arts & crafts, cartooning, video game design. Read: Summer Scholarships at the Arts Center.
- Hudson Opera House – Hudson, NY – Ex.: arts studio, creative movement, theater, and writing classes.
- Out of the Box Creative Learning – Clifton Park, NY – Ex. Songwriting, science and technology, music, dance, theater. Thematic theatrical productions may touch on a wide variety of disciplines: music, art, history, dance, and more.
- The Arts Center of the Capital Region – Troy, NY
- The Capital District Computer Enthusiasts – Monthly meetings at Bethlehem Public Library, Delmar, NY.
- Capital District Linux Users Group – Monthly meetings in East Greenbush, NY.
- Hudson Valley Community College – Troy, NY.
- Schenectady Community College – Schenectady, NY.
- SUNY Adirondack – Queensbury, NY.
- Read: How to Become a Video Game Tester in the Capital Region.
- Tiny Chefs, Malta, NY
- Battenkill Kitchen – Salem, NY
- Schnectady County Community College Culinary Arts – Schnectady, NY
- Eastline Books – Clifton Park, NY.
- Teen Poetry Workshop with Carol Glaser – Saratoga Library, Saratoga, NY. (Find details on CDHE)
Dance & Gymnastics
- Dance Lili Creative Ballet and Movement Studios – Saratoga Springs, NY
- Dance Force! – Schenectady, NY
- DC Gymnastics – Albany, NY
- Denise Baker School of Dance – Glenville, NY
- eba Center for Dance and Fitness – Albany, NY
- Eleanor’s School of Dance – Multiple locations in Albany, Clifton Park, Delmar, & East Greenbush. (Store location at )
- Ellen Sinopoli Dance – The Arts Center of the Capital Region, Troy, NY.
- The Isabelle School of Dance, Castleton, NY.
- KJ’s Gymnastics – Valatie, NY.
- Merritt Dance Center, Schenectady, NY.
- Modern Dance with Ginny Martin – Glenville, NY.
- Nicholson DansArts of Colonie – Colonie, NY.
- Northeast Ballet Company/Myers School – Schenectady, NY.
- Northeast Institute of Gymnastics – Albany, NY
- Orlando School of Dance – Schenectady, NY.
- Robin’s Academy of Dance – East Greenbush, NY.
- The Saratoga Ballet Academy – Saratoga Springs, NY.
- School of the Arts National Museum of Dance – Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Spendwood School of Dance and Gymnastics – Cohoes, NY. (Guest Review)
- School of the Arts at the National Museum of Dance – Saratoga Springs, NY.
- The School of the Albany Berkshire Ballet – Albany, NY
- World Class Gymnastics, Latham, NY
- Dance Supplies: Eleanor’s School of Dance 1875 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12205, (518) 456-3222.
- Annika Pfluger’s Music Studio – Cello and Piano Lessons – Delmar, NY.
- Heidi’s Place – Loudonville, NY.
- Helderberg Music Together – Albany, NY.
- Jazz Music by Jonathan Lorentz – private lessons for individuals or small groups – Round Lake, NY.
- Logan Studios Academy of Music and the Arts – Clifton Park, NY.
- Kindermusik – Multiple locations.
- Kniskern Music House –, Clifton Park, NY.
- Miss Peggy’s Music Room – Albany, NY.
- Music Box Arts/Music Together – Multiple Locations.
- The Music Studio – Albany, NY.
- Northeast String Orchestra – Clifton Park, NY.
- Performance School of Music and the Arts – Clifton Park, NY.
- Romper Rhythms – Delmar, NY.
- Scotia-Glenville Pipe Band – Colonie, NY – Learn & Play Bagpipes and Drums.
- Drama Kids – Multiple locations.
- DRAMAcademics – Educational youth theater productions at multiple venues.
- Out of the Box Creative Learning – Clifton Park, NY
- Proctors – After School Programs in Drama & Film making – Schenectady, NY.
- Saratoga Arts Center – Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Sanctuary for Independent Media – Troy, NY.
- Theater Institute at Sage – Troy, NY.
- Young Actor’s Guild at RPI – Troy, NY.
- Albany Art Room – Albany, NY Read: Albany Art Room:Intro to Wheel Throwing for Teens & More
- Art Utopia – Albany, NY
- Artfull Afternoons – The Hyde Collection, Glens Fall, NY.
- Creative Art Time Studio – Delmar, NY.
- Kidz Art – multiple locations.
- The National Bottle Museum – Glassworks and Jewelry – Ballston Spa, NY.
- The Pottery Place – Albany, NY (Homeschool Art Program – 10/26-11/16 – For information, call the studio at 518-446-0870.)
- Saratoga Arts Center – Saratoga, NY.
- Sow’s Ear Studio – Schenectady, NY. Read: Art Classes at the Sow’s Ear.
- Classie Lassies – Wynantskill, NY.
- AskFred – Database for tournaments, camps/clinics, and more – locally and internationally.
- Beaches Sabre Club – Troy, NY
- Capital District Fencing School – Schenectady, NY
- Gristmill Fencing, Yoga, and the Arts – South Westerlo, NY.
- RPI Fencing Club – Troy, NY
- Swords and Strategy Fencing Club – Amsterdam, NY.
- Adirondack Sports Complex – Queensbury, NY.
- Albany Curling Club – Albany, NY. Read: Open House: The Albany Curling Club.
- Guilderland Center Yoga – Guilderland, NY.
- Power House Athletics – Latham, NY.
- Sports for Children with Special Needs – Latham, NY.
- Yoga For Kids – Clifton Park, NY.
- Ice Skating – Multiple venues and clubs, see: Ice Skating In The Capital Region: Indoors, Outdoors, & Year-Round
- Aering Green Equestrian Center – Castleton, NY
- Catskill Equine Center – Catskill, NY
- Emerald-Glen Equestrian – Stephentown, NY
- 4M’s Farm – Castleton, NY.
- Handsome Meadow Farms – Schenectady, NY. Contact: (518) 355-1567.
- K&K Equestrian Center at Ravine Farm – East Durham, NY (Catskills)
- Knowledge Network – Instructor:Peggy Aedjian. Riding academy is in Schenectady, NY.
- Ride With Lisa – Rensselaer, NY
- Schauber Stables – Ballston Lake, NY
- Windrunner Stables – Altamont, NY
- Albany Aikido – Latham, NY.
- Albany Kodokan Judo – Albany, NY. Contact: MMahone4@nycap.rr.com or (518) 649-7112.
- Atlas Jiu Jitsu – Albany, NY.
- Brunswick Lee’s TaeKwonDo – Troy, NY.
- Capital Northeast Martial Arts – Guilderland, NY.
- Cichon’s Wing Chun Kung Fu – Albany, NY.
- Columbia Tae Kwon Do – East Greenbush, NY.
- Empire Martial Arts – Colonie, NY.
- Ling’s Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy – Glens Falls, NY.
- Albany Rowing Center – Albany, NY.
- Mohawk Rowing Club – Amsterdam, NY. Questions? Email or call Matt Hopkins at 378-3938 mattamho(at)gmail.com
- Saratoga Rowing Association – Saratoga, NY
- Rough and Rugged, Rugby is an Emerging Sport in the USA – a special report from Teen Rugby Player, Kayla Foyt.
- Albany Bulldogs Rugby
- Rensselaer Dragons
- Schenectady Chargers
- Saratoga Mustangs Red
- Greenbush Youth Soccer Club – East Greenbush, NY.
- Guilderland Youth Soccer Association – Guilderland, NY.
- Adirondack Blue Fins – Athens, NY.
- Albany Starfish Swim Club – practice at Niskayuna High School & Siena College swimming pools.
- Amsterdam Sea Rams – practice at multiple pools.
- Delmar Dolphins Swim Club – practice at the Bethlehem High School and Albany Academy swimming pools.
- Greenbush YMCA Sea Lions – East Greenbush, NY.
- Schenectady-Saratoga Swim Club – practice a multiple pools.
- Stingray Swim Team – YMCA of Saratoga, Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Capital Region Tennis & Fitness – Albany, NY.
- Tri-City Tennis and Fitness – Latham, NY.
- Five Rivers Environmental Educational Center – Delmar, NY.
- Flying Deer Nature Center – New Lebanon, NY.
- Huyck Preserve – Rensselaerville, NY.
- Kawing Crow Awareness Center – Greenfield Center, NY.
- Ndakinna Education Center – Greenfield Center, NY.
- Tamakoce Wilderness Programs (Read:Flaming Arrows on the Wild Side and/or Wilderness Camping with Weasels)
- Read: Wilderness Programs In The Capital Region
Ski – Alpine (Downhill) or Nordic (Cross Country)
- Cross Country Ski New York – (Nordic)
- New York Ski Educational Foundation – Gore, Whiteface.
- New York Ski Racing Association – (Alpine)
- Gore Ski Club – Gore Mountain, North Creek, NY. (Alpine)
- Jiminy Peak Race Team – Hancock, MA. (Alpine)
- Lapland Lake Cross Country Skiing – Northville, NY. (Nordic)
- Maple Ski Ridge – Schenectady Ski School – Rotterdam, NY. (Alpine)
- Rensselaer Plateau Nordic Youth Programs – Pineridge Cross-Country Ski Area – Petersburgh, NY. (Nordic)
- West Mountain Ski School – Queensbury, NY. (Alpine)
- Willard Mountain – Greenwich, NY. (Alpine)
Additional Enrichment Resources
Mommy and Me
- Pat Schuler, Ph.D., Creative Insights – Testing and Counseling. Greenmeadow Park, 1654 Columbia Turnpike, Castleton-on-Hudson, NY 12033, 518-257-2018, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AGATE – Advocacy for Gifted and Talented Education in New York State
- Bright and Wired: The Gifted Kid Network
- Capital District Beginnings – Evaluator and Provider of Early Childhood Special Education Services.
- Friday Knights – The College of Saint Rose – Program on campus which provides social and recreational opportunities for children from the community with autism, Asperger syndrome, and difficulties in social skills.
- Tiny Tots Team Play – Partnership program with Capital District Beginnings at the Tiny Tots Tea Room on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 am to 10:30 am, Ages 9 months to 6 years benefit and it operates through the school year. Children with Autism, Down Syndrome, Hearing Impairment and other difficulties are all benefitting from this program.