Lincoln Highway – New York to San Francisco Or Bust

by Sandra Foyt on June 21, 2013

in Road Trips

Model T Ford | Colorado History Museum | Denver, CO

“We’re going to hit it!”

It has been decided. Starting June 24th, thirteen-year-old Alex and I are setting out on a road trip along the Lincoln Highway. “America’s First Highway,” which runs from New York City to San Francisco, is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2013. A century which saw a dramatic shift in the very idea of the American vacation from the exclusive purview of the wealthy elite, to the rite of passage family road trip.

My son and I are eager to explore that story, but also to learn about the men and women who built America on and off the Lincoln Highway. We won’t turn down a slice of pie, either.

Greased pig contest at Rodeo de Taos in Taos, New Mexico.

Our first rodeo was the Rodeo de Taos in Taos, New Mexico on our Read Across America Road Trip of 2009. Alex hung back during the greased pig contest, but he got his ribbon and a $1.00 bill in the cattle chase event.

This isn’t our first rodeo. The first time, my husband and I packed 2-year-old Kayla, two retrievers, and most of our worldly goods into a Toyota 4Runner for a 2-month drive across Canada to our new home in Albany, NY. I stayed put, more or less, for a few years after that until Kayla’s 5th Grade State Report on Mississippi. That’s the year we went in search of Elvis, on a loop from his birth home in Tupelo through Dixie mansions and the blues trail to Graceland.

In 2009 the kids and I left my husband at home with the dog while we zigzagged across the country in search of storybook settings. By then even little Alex was keeping a travel blog. Two years older, if not wiser, we set off on another cross-country road trip in 2011; this time my kids and I shared the car with a Korean grandmother, my friend and her son. We drove from New York to Mount Hood, Oregon in one week AND we still managed to snap shots of Mount Rushmore sculptures and Yellowstone bears and wolves. That Korean grandmother is very, very lucky.

Honda CRV loaded for a road trip.

Last summer we hit the road early to attend TBEX, the travel blog conference, in Colorado and to have a little time with friends in California before our epic mission to India and Nepal. For once, we drove westward without a road trip theme, happy to survive teenaged Kayla’s stints behind the wheel.

Kayla won’t join us this summer. She is going to Austria where she will spend a week at ski camp and a month working at a medical research internship. Without Kayla, it wasn’t easy to muster excitement for this summer road trip. I knew that I had to get Alex to Chicago on July 13th for the annual ROBLOX Game Conference; his only request to press on to California quickly so that he could spend as much time as possible with his West Coast friends. But I wanted more than a fast road. I wanted adventure, excitement; yeah, I wanted an epic quest.

I thought of following in the tire tracks of my friend and blog partner, Malerie Yolen-Cohen, who wrote the book about Route 6, the longest contiguous highway in the United States. As tempting as that was, I wanted to forge my own book-worthy road trip. My first choice was U.S. Route 20, the longest road in America, until Linda, of Minnemom.com, suggested that I look into the Lincoln Highway realignments of U.S. Route 30, the third longest U.S. road. Immediately sold on the idea of traveling America’s oldest transcontinental road, I nonetheless ordered a few guide books to help make this decision.

Lincoln Highway had the unfair advantage. Brian Butko has authored a number of well-researched and colorfully illustrated books on the subject, including the gorgeous coffee table book, Greetings from the Lincoln Highway: America’s First Coast-to-Coast Road. And Michael Wallis, author of Route 66 and one of the voices behind Disney’s Cars, published the entertaining The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate with Pulitzer Prize winner Michael S. Williamson.

Times Square in New York City

The Lincoln Highway tour begins in New York City.

We will begin this grand adventure in New York City on Monday, June 24th, following the route set out on the Lincoln Highway Association’s official interactive map. Expect quirky detours for art and engineering marvels, high-adrenaline challenges, and tasty treats. Eventually, our story will make its way onto this travel blog and even a family travel guide to the Lincoln Highway, but not necessarily the whole story. If you want to follow our journey in real time, do follow me on any or all of the following social networks:

For more summer vacation ideas, check out the roundup on TakingtheKids.com. They have a ton of great suggestions for family travel from coast-to-coast, and beyond.

See you on the road!

Going West

Lincoln Highway Snapshots:

| Sandra Foyt is a storyteller, photographer, and road trip junkie. A veteran of six cross-country road trips, she drove Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, the fossil freeway, the extraterrestrial highway, and even “the loneliest road in America.” Find her on GetawayMavens.com, an award-winning destination guide to extraordinary travel in and from Northeast USA, on her portfolio site at SandraFoyt.com, and in freelance gigs on Family Travel 411, Minitime, Huffington Post, and Matador Network. Email: sandrafoyt@albanykid.com, Twitter @SandraFoyt.

Malerie Yolen-Cohen June 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Do you know how jealous I am of you right now??? OK – so, I’m not exactly “stuck” on the East Coast being bored. I’ll be on the road, too, and loving every moment. But there’s just something about a cross-country road trip…… I’ll be following along for sure! Bon Voyage and I know you’ll have a blast!
Mal

Sandra Foyt June 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm

One of these days, Malerie, you and I will HAVE to do a cross-country road trip together. You know it would be awesome!
Sandra Foyt recently posted..Lincoln Highway – New York to San Francisco Or BustMy Profile

Paul Gilger June 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Sandra-
This is just wonderful, and I wish you the very best on your trip.
Happy trails,
Paul Gilger, Chair
Lincoln Highway Association
National Mapping Committee

Sandra Foyt June 21, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Thank you, Paul, and thanks for dropping by!

Brian Butko June 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for your kind words, you’ll have a great time, there’s so much to see and do. It’s amazing watching the changing landscape unfold as you head west, and a good geography lesson too. Have fun!

Sandra Foyt June 22, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Thanks, Brian, that means a lot coming from you!

Beth @ TheAngelForever June 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Looking forward to following along on your adventure. Have a wonderful time with Alex.
Beth @ TheAngelForever recently posted..Museums and PlanetariumsMy Profile

Traci June 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm

This sounds amazing! Personally, I would sample a slice of pie in every state. 🙂
Traci recently posted..The BIG Times, June/July 2013My Profile

Tonya {The Traveling Praters} June 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm

What an awesome road trip! I’ve dreamed of taking the same trip so I’ll definitely be following your adventures. One of my goals for the summer is to follow the Lincoln Highway through my state of Ohio. You’re going to nearly pass by my house. If you have time and would like to take a break in small town Mansfield, let me know. I can point you to a few fun stops. Like maybe the prison where the Shawshank Redemption was filmed- or the oldest restaurant in Mansfield (a short drive off the highway)? Or you could pop in at the Mansfield Memorial Museum to see Elektro, the oldest surviving American robot in the world- you’ll find the museum right on the Lincoln Highway.
Tonya {The Traveling Praters} recently posted..A Delightfully Lazy Day at Put-in-BayMy Profile

Sandra Foyt June 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Tonya, I was thinking of stopping in Mansfield anyway, but now I’ll definitely do so if only to catch up with you! I’ll message you when I have a better idea of when I’ll be passing through.

Jennifer June 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

Do you have an idea of when you’ll be in San Francisco? Second weekend of August or so, I’m looking to be in Napa…
Jennifer recently posted..Excellent Customer Service at The Allison Inn & Spa in Oregon Wine CountryMy Profile

Sandra Foyt June 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I think we’ll get to San Francisco by the third week of July, but that’s a guestimate at this point.

gregory urbano June 24, 2013 at 6:32 am

best of luck, have fun on your adventure! checking out your links to the Lincoln hwy, only ever thought about using modern interstate system, now i have options!
gregory urbano recently posted..Welcome to GulfportMy Profile

Steve June 25, 2013 at 10:52 pm

This promises to be an amazing road trip – have a great time!
Steve recently posted..Whale Watching off San DiegoMy Profile

wanderingeducators June 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

What an exciting, epic adventure! So excited to follow along!
wanderingeducators recently posted..You eat this? Crazy.My Profile

Shannon Entin July 1, 2013 at 1:05 am

Ah, this is one of my dream road trips! I’ll be following along. Enjoy!
Shannon Entin recently posted..Celebrate NJ Down the ShoreMy Profile

Gabi (The Nomadic Family) July 1, 2013 at 6:08 am

soo cool. i love it. the pictures are fantastic. especially the one of new york at night. i love it. thank you for sharing sandra.
Gabi (The Nomadic Family) recently posted..The Reality of Family Life on the Road- Rain for the Limping Soul- PhilippinesMy Profile

Bethaney - Flashpacker Family July 7, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Exciting! I love reading about these epic USA road trips. It really is the best country for road tripping!
Bethaney – Flashpacker Family recently posted..Can You Stay in Hostels with Kids? #hostels @YHA_AustraliaMy Profile

{ 4 trackbacks }