Catching fireworks shows has always been a hit-or-miss affair with my family, where more often than not, we end up viewing the pyrotechnics from the lawn of the neighbor with the best vantage point. And in recent years, as our traveling is limited to the kids’ vacation months, we’re more likely to catch firework displays on the road – or not at all.
Does it matter whether or not we see fireworks on the Fourth of July?
On the Fourth of July in 2009, we shared an awe-inspiring view of a sunset over the Grand Canyon with a group of fellow sightseers, many of whom had traveled from distant corners of India and Asia to behold the natural wonders of our country. I don’t think I have ever been as grateful to be an American as I was at that moment.
And then the next year, we joined in as a small town turned out for the fireworks show in Loon, NH. Families picnicked on the lawn, while the more energetic tossed a Frisbee. It wasn’t the most spectacular fireworks display, nothing on the scale of a Disney extravaganza, but there was so much joy in being a part of that community – even if just for one night.
Observing the Fourth of July, and celebrating the birth of our nation, can take many forms and it doesn’t have to be just on one day of the year!
Fireworks on the Fourth of July in and near Albany
- Price Choppers Homegrown 4th and Fireworks Festival – Albany, NY
- 4th of July Celebration – Bolton Landing, NY
- 2012 Summer Jam – Glens Falls, NY
- Fireworks at Shepard’s Park – Lake George, NY
- Independence Day Celebration – Hague, NY
- Independence Day Celebration – Long Lake, NY
- Music & Fireworks – Old Forge
- Fireworks – Raquette Lake, NY
- All-American Celebration – Saratoga Springs, NY
- Independence Day Celebration at Saratoga Casino and Raceway – Saratoga Springs, NY
- Fourth of July Spectacular – Schroon Lake, NY
- Independence Day with the Valley Cats – Troy, NY
- Best Fourth In The North Fireworks – Ticonderoga, NY
Fireworks after the Fourth of July in and near Albany
- Valley Cats Veteran’s Night – Troy, NY
- Lake George Village Thursday Fireworks.
- Indian Lake Fireworks Display
- Summerfest – Chester, NY
- Wilton’s Community Day ParkFest – Wilton, NY
- Valley Cats Star Wars Night – Troy, NY
- Schenectady County SummerNight – Schenectady, NY
- Smoke Eaters Jamboree – Warrensburg, NY
- Durant Days – Raquette Lake, NY
Do you have any more recommendations for catching the fireworks after the 4th of July? Please share!
Sandra Foyt | Sandra Foyt inspires lifelong-learners to travel the world. A former education advocate and enrichment coach, she lived in Buenos Aires, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Washington, D.C., New York City, and Southern California before settling in Northeast NY with two teens, an outdoorsy husband, and a well-indulged Chocolate Lab. Sandra contributes to Being Latino, and her portfolio appears at www.SandraFoyt.com. Email: email@example.com, Twitter @SandraFoyt.