It isn’t hard to find moms in the Capital Region. Striking up a conversation and forming a friendship is another matter. A long time friend and I joke that our families forged a bond because we were able to set up play dates when all the other kiddos were napping since our little girls had given them up by their first birthdays. But how do you connect with moms when you are a new mom, or new to the area?
Moms Clubs in the Capital Region
The easiest way to find like-minded moms is to contact a local mother’s support group. Amy Clark, of Mom Advice, lists several organizations with local chapters in Finding a Moms Group. Here is a contact list for moms clubs in the Capital Region:
- Fun4Tots Playgroup -Weekly playgroups. Contact Kathy at 356-2331 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Holistic Moms Network – Saratoga Springs – local community of holistic parents with a wide range of interests meets on the fourth Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. National: Holistic Moms Network.
- Lynnwood Parent-Tot Play Group – meets every Thursday from 10-11:30 a.m. in the nursery at Lynnwood Reformed Church, 3714 Carman Road, Guilderland.
- Many Mamas (Formerly Albany Yoga Mamas) – Invitation-only message board, book club, day and evening events.
- Hudson Valley Mocha Moms – Weekly support meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, and monthly Mom’s Night Out. National: Mocha (Mothers of Color At Home) Moms.
- MOMS Club: Offers message boards, meetings, mom’s night out, activities, and playgroups. Individual chapters vary; check carefully!
- Mothers and More of Southern Saratoga – National online community, monthly meetings, Ladies’ Nights Out, playgroups, outings. National: Mothers and More.
- Mothers Center of the Capital District – Facebook group, and drop-in play group. National: Mothers Center.
- MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers):
- Capital District Mothers of Twins – Facebook page, mom-only and family events,and monthly meetings. National: National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs.
- Niskayuna Moms Group – Meetings at the Niskayuna Community Center, area outings, and special interest groups (Book, Craft, Garden, and Walking).
- Stroller Strides – Fitness for moms, fun for babies! Check the locator for a group near you.
- Toga Tots – Message board and meet ups, focus on Saratoga County and surrounding areas, events for children and families.
- Working Moms in the Capital Region Meetup – Message board and meet ups, mostly in the evenings or weekends, mom-only and family events.
- The Mommies Network: Saratoga County Mommies & Hudson Valley Mommies.
Any more? Let me know, and I’ll add it to the guide. Got a story or more information to share about moms clubs in Northeast NY? Please share!
Sandra Foyt | Sandra Foyt is a storyteller, photographer, and road trip junkie. A veteran of six cross-country road trips, she drove Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, the fossil freeway, the extraterrestrial highway, and even “the loneliest road in America.” Find her on GetawayMavens.com, an award-winning destination guide to extraordinary travel in and from Northeast USA, on her portfolio site at SandraFoyt.com, and in freelance gigs on Family Travel 411, Minitime, Huffington Post, and Matador Network. Email: email@example.com, Twitter @SandraFoyt.