On December 8, 2010, NanoCareer Day brought middle- and high-school students to the CNSE campus for an eye-opening visit that introduced them to the exciting world of nanotechnology through tours, presentations and hands-on activities.
Our group of homeschoolers, ranging in age from 4th to 10th grade, declared this a great experience. Although a couple of students had previously visited the Community Day the previous month, they found a lot that was new and interesting at this event.
With the smaller group, professors and tour leaders were able to go into greater depth in the presentations. There was more room to test out remote control cars run by hydro or solar powered batteries. And, best of all, the students appreciated that instructors acknowledged their interest, keeping the discussion at an engaging level.
If you missed NanoCareer Day, it is an annual event that you can look forward to next year. Additionally, CNSE offers a variety of student outreach programs:
- NanoHigh – developed jointly by the City School District of Albany (CSDA) and CNSE, offers students an unprecedented opportunity to study the emerging field of nanotechnology through two courses that combine classroom learning at Albany High School with monthly on-site visits to CNSE for in-depth lab activities.
- School Presentations and Tours – CNSE hosts a variety of school groups throughout the year – from administrators and faculty to students and their parents.
- Student Internships – Undergraduate and high school students have many opportunities to collaborate with CNSE instructors on internship programs.
More photos from this event can be found at NanoCareer Day on Flickr.
Go See It!
NanoCareer Day – Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 8am-4pm, at at the College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering in Albany, NY. (Note that this is for registered student groups.)
Interested? For more information about any of these programs, contact Diana Dumesnil firstname.lastname@example.org.
You Might Like:
- Nanoscale Science for Little (and Big) Kids
- NANOvember returns with more cool science!
- Seeing the Future at NANOvember Community Day
Sandra Foyt | Sandra Foyt is a storyteller, photographer, and road trip junkie. A veteran of six cross-country road trips, she drove Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, the fossil freeway, the extraterrestrial highway, and even “the loneliest road in America.” Find her on GetawayMavens.com, an award-winning destination guide to extraordinary travel in and from Northeast USA, on her portfolio site at SandraFoyt.com, and in freelance gigs on Family Travel 411, Minitime, Huffington Post, and Matador Network. Email: email@example.com, Twitter @SandraFoyt.