Is This An Honor? Or Is It Spam?

by Sandra Foyt on March 2, 2010

in Uncategorized

cooksham I just received the following invitation:

Hello Sandra
You’ve been selected to be our guest at the 2010 Cook’s Ham Inaugural Blogger Conference.

March 16, 2010
2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Hosted at the Loudon Price Chopper, located on Route 9, Latham, NY just outside of Albany

Hosted just for mommy bloggers, this exclusive event includes a cooking demonstration, contests and meal planning tips. As a highly ranked mommy blogger, we look forward to hearing your feedback on our products.

Participate in an Easter Cooking Demonstration
Win prizes during the Shopping Cart Challenge
Sample products
Give feedback to one of America’s favorite brands

Please RSVP no later than March 10th
Travel expenses for this half-day event can be reimbursed

If this were an invitation to a Chocolate Conference, there’d be no question.  I’d be there in a heartbeat.  But, … ham?

I don’t have a religious or personal objection to eating pork, but I don’t cook.  Just because I’m a mommy blogger, doesn’t mean I do any cooking.  That’s my husband’s chore; and when he’s not around, the microwave is my chef.

I have to admit, I’m curious about this event.  I’d love to meet the other “highly ranked mommy bloggers” in the Capital Region.  Also, free food is free food.

On the other hand, this is a treacherous road to travel.  First, it’s free food.  Then, free cosmetics.  Before you know it, I’ll be receiving shopping spree coupons for posting admiring articles about Duck Tape Prom Dresses.  It won’t end until I’m on Jezebel’s list of bloggers who’ve run afoul of the FTC disclosure rules.

Egad!

Then, again, Cook’s is “always good to the bone.”

| Sandra Foyt is a storyteller, photographer, and road trip junkie. A veteran of six cross-country road trips, she drove Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, the fossil freeway, the extraterrestrial highway, and even “the loneliest road in America.” Find her on GetawayMavens.com, an award-winning destination guide to extraordinary travel in and from Northeast USA, on her portfolio site at SandraFoyt.com, and in freelance gigs on Family Travel 411, Minitime, Huffington Post, and Matador Network. Email: sandrafoyt@albanykid.com, Twitter @SandraFoyt.

Jennifer March 9, 2010 at 3:08 am

Just found your blog when searching for more information about this conference 🙂 Yes, it is 100% legit. Price Chopper posted about it on their official Facebook page, looking for other upstate bloggers who may be interested. I found out about it through the same email you did, though. I haven’t yet decided if I will go…partly because I would need my toddler to tag along, and I’m not sure if they would go for that.
.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Favorite Price Chopper Deals through 3/13/10 =-.

sandrafoyt March 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Jennifer,

I signed up to attend. Like you, I’ll have to bring a child along, my 10yo son. Perhaps, he can help keep your toddler entertained. It’s supposed to be an event for Mommy Bloggers, so they must expect that we usually travel with kids in tow.

TheAngelForever March 12, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Hello – I will also be at the Price Chopper event. Like you, I do not do much cooking. My hubby (TechyDad) does it and we are kosher, so no pork here. Still I am going to network and bring information back to my readers. Looking forward to meeting you. I was not sure about taking my 2 year old along for 3 hours. Luckily my aunt is able to watch him and my older son has a club at school late so my father will pick him up.

sandrafoyt March 12, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Correction – It turns out that this event can’t accommodate children, so I’m making other arrangements for my son.

Christina, I’m with you on this. I’m really looking forward to meeting other NY mommy bloggers. It’s exciting to see that there are quite a few of us. And, despite the tongue-in-cheek blog post, I don’t really believe that we’re in any danger of being wined and dined into non-objective blogging. Sigh.

Christina Gleason @ Cutest Kid Ever March 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I’m heading to the Price Chopper event, too. I don’t do the cooking in our house either (except for my special dishes) but if I get some good ideas for ham to tell my hubby about, I’ll let him know. (We love ham.)

We’re not obligated to blog about it or praise the sponsor if we do. Personally, I’m intrigued to see what they do with the first real mommy blogger event (that I’ve heard of) in the Capital District. And I’m pretty sure I’ll write about it, though always with my honest opinion of how it went. As long as we disclose that we were invited to attend for free (and get compensated for mileage – I think I might get $2.50!) there’s no reason to worry about running afoul of the FTC. 😉
.-= Christina Gleason @ Cutest Kid Ever´s last blog ..Similac Formula Giveaway =-.

Danielle @ Kids Meal Crowd March 16, 2010 at 7:12 am

I’m not in NY, but am making the trek from NH. Look forward to meeting you all there! The biggest draw for me was the idea of meeting other “regional mom bloggers”. I don’t tend to see lots of Northeast events happening, and so I’m happy to see what this is like. Mileage reimbursement was the justification for spending more time on the road than at the event. Crossing fingers for good day trip weather!
.-= Danielle @ Kids Meal Crowd´s last blog ..NE Patriots Kids Shirts 90% off at K-Mart – YMMV =-.

{ 1 trackback }